How to apply:
Applying couldn't be easier. Simply click on the apply button in the blue box above, and it will automatically launch a new email in your email browser or alternatively send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For both options, please add the job title and reference number from above so we know which job that you are interested in, as well as where you have seen the vacancy advertised. Attach your CV, and tell us a little bit about yourself, and why you feel you'd be the ideal candidate. Good luck!
Purpose of role:
Reporting into the Team Leader/Home Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for meeting the personal care needs of the Residents in a way that respects their dignity as an individual and promotes and encourages independence. You will be directly involved in the care of the Residents physical environment and the general day-to-day activities of the home. With others, you will be expected to ensure at all times that the home operations are being applied. Importantly, you are expected to be proactively involved in creating a warm, friendly atmosphere and maintaining good relations between Residents, relatives, visiting professionals and staff and to adopt a totally flexible approach and attitude to the challenges of the role.
- To assist in preparing residents for bed, as required.
- Will assist in the daily care of the Residents, helping with dressing/undressing, washing, bathing and personal hygiene where necessary.
- Help Residents with problems of mobility and other physical disabilities such as incontinence, helping with the use of disability aids and caring for the same, as identified in the Residents care plan.
- To receive and act upon instructions from Senior Care Staff regarding specific tasks to be carried out.
- Apply practical intervention procedures for dementia or behavioural problems
- To answer promptly all nurse alarm calls, assessing each situation and dealing with any resident who is seeking help. In cases of emergency to summon duty Senior Care Staff and if necessary to call the emergency GP and/or summon an ambulance.
- Help and be involved with the organisation of social activities, and to participate in ways intended to promote Residents physical and mental well-being. To accompany Residents on community visits and hospital/doctors appointments. Involving yourself with Residents in activities such as reading, writing, hobbies and recreations.
- Serve food, assisting residents with eating and drinking as required. When requested prepare light meals and snacks. Help clear up the dining room after meals, ensuring all dirty cutlery, crockery and utensils are returned to the kitchen.
- To help make and change beds, and assist with light domestic duties such as tidying rooms, dusting, polishing, and emptying commodes as may be required. Ensure all dirty clothing and bedding is taken to the laundry, identifying and reporting any items requiring mending. If working nightshift, iron laundered garments and linen, mending/darning when practical.
- Monitor Residents medical or physical condition, and report any changes to the Manager/Senior in charge on duty.
- Bring all complaints raised about service level no matter how minor, to the attention of the Manager/Senior in charge
- You may be asked to work night or day shift when there is minimum cover by way of assistance when other Carers are not available.
- Caring and Patience
- Sensitive to the privacy and individual needs of the residents
- Good communication skills
- Be physically fit, equal to the demands of the work
- Possess the essential ability to work well with others as part of a team
- Willing to work irregular hours
- Commitment to the rights of elderly and disabled people to live dignified lives
- Flexibility in your working patterns by being able to carry out rostered shift work, which includes weekends and in emergency situations (i.e. holidays/sickness) additional duties/ day duty
- Maintain the highest standard in your personal conduct, presentation and hygiene
This post is subject to suitable references and a full enhanced disclosure will be required (employer will meet cost). If the applicant is subscribed to the update service for DBS disclosures, existing disclosures can be used.